Considering that this is the first post (even though Nicholas is 2 months old) I'll bring everyone up to speed.
Here are the "MUST KNOWS"
1. Name : Nicholas Alexander Pieroway
2. Birthday : June 19, 2009 (9:14 pm)
3. Birth Weight : 7lbs 11ozs
4. Length : 20 inches
5. Born in : Calgary, AB at the Rockyview Hospital
Nicholas is quite possibly the most amazing baby ever. I know, I know... Everybody says that about their baby, but in this case it's true! What would you expect when he is half newfie and half mainlander? I am quite sure that Chris' laid back ease, and my relaxed charm has created a perfect spawn.
Things that you should probably know about the birth... The little man was running on Chris Pieroway time. My water broke at 11 am on thursday the 18th and then there was nothing. We were expecting this mad dash to the hospital with us bursting through the emergency room doors, screaming "He's coming, oh man, HE'S COMING!"... Not so much the case. He was maxin' and relaxin' in my womb. No need to rush, things will get done when they need to. The contractions were sporadic and were getting us nowhere, so at 4 pm on the 19th, we were walked over to labor and delivery. Not wheeled... Walked... not what we expected at this point. We walk into our delivery room, and it was like walking into heaven! We had a huge room, with a leather couch and a TV (someone must've known Chris, because we got the only room with a TV in it). Chris turned on some golf tournament as I was getting hooked up to the IV, and man, as soon as they hydrated me ( in preparation for the oxytocin) things really started to happen. When they got the oxytocin in me, my contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart. Chris was now by my side, helping me stay comfortable (that's an oxymoron), and we were both on the edge of our seats. Chris had put on "Die Hard" for our viewing pleasure / his viewing pleasure. Things were moving along quickly, and when I asked for some morphine, it was too late. We were on our own. "Die Hard" ended and "Commando" started. Here I am pushing and the Dr. and Nurse are watching "Commando." Really? ...Really? As our little guy was coming into this world he was greated by a series of explosions. I guess in a way they represented the excitment that Chris and I were feeling at the time!
Life as we knew it changed at that very moment. What a mix of emotions! I was laughing, Chris was crying (tears of joy), and Nicholas was just chillin'. He let out a few peeps, and then it was on to checking everything out. His eyes were darting everywhere, but as soon as Chris spoke to him, his focus changed. He knew that voice... he had definitely heard it before. We truly were on top of the world! What an amazing experience!!!
We stayed in the hospital for the night, and then it was home time. Just as we were getting ready to leave, Nicholas decided to hold his breath for a little too long, and gave us all a scare. Next thing we knew, the nurse was hooking him up to an oxygen monitor. Our hearts were racing, we couldn't believe that there could be something wrong with our perfect little guy. Well, it turns out there wasn't. No really, the Dr. came in and gave the nurse an earful for scaring us like she had. Okay, we could go home...
Really, the next 6 weeks were a blur. Visitors came and went, Grams and Papa (Mainlanders), and Nan and Pop (Newfie's), we had the baby showers, and POOF... 6 weeks gone! His smiles made the hard times worth it, but really for the most part, there weren't a lot of hard times. Chris and I have been able to maintain our relaxed atmosphere at home, which I truly believe keeps our baby relaxed. I have an amazing husband, who is so great with my amazing baby, and together we make a fantastic team!
Nicholas has already been out dirtbiking with Chris, which will definitely be something that they share as a favorite hobby in the future. Chris already has his first bike picked out! I guess I should get ready for the heart attacks now! Anybody know what I can start taking to strengthen my heart right now? I'll need it!
I had my little man sitting beside me, enjoying some Tummy Time yesterday, and the next thing I knew he was on his back. I couldn't believe it! I put him back on his tummy, and then he rolled over again. And guess what... It happened again. Nicholas rolled over 3 times! Can someone say "Gifted." I'm quite sure that he gets it from Chris, Chris' Pop Broomfield, and from my mom "Grams." That woman could take down an ox... and I'm quite sure she's tried!
To wrap this up, life now feels complete! In all actuality, it's only just begun... Bring it on baby!
He's gorgeous. We're so happy for your guys.
ReplyDelete